Yield: 1 large loaf
3,240 calories per loaf
Active time: 15 minutes
Total time: 4 ½ hours
1 cup raw spelt
1 cup water
1 cup rice milk
2 teaspoons yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm warm water
1/3 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons powdered milk
2 tablespoons sourdough starter
1/4 cup oatmeal
1 cup oat bran
1 cup high gluten flour
1½ cups whole wheat flour
1 cup quinoa flour
1. Place the lukewarm water, yeast, and a pinch of sugar in a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup. Set aside.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, book the spelt in 1 cup water and 1 cup rice milk until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and cooked spelt into your stand mixer bowl.
4. “Stir” to incorporate.
5. Pour in the yeast mixture and “stir” until a smooth and cohesive dough forms, about 5 minutes. The dough may feel slightly sticky but should not be wet.
6. Form the dough into a ball, place in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside until doubled in bulk, about 2 hours.
7. Turn the dough out onto your counter top, shape into a loaf, and place in a parchment lined pan.
8. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until very puffy, about 1 hour.
9. About 30 minutes into the final proof, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
10. Bake for 45 minutes or until the loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped. If the bread begins to brown too quickly, you may need to tent it.