Yield: 2 batards
970 calories per batard
Active time: 15 minutes
Total time: 6 hours
1 tablespoon agave nectar
2 teaspoons yeast
1½ cups lukewarm water
2 cups high gluten flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rye flour
1/2 cup semolina flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper (I used a citrus blend)
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon dried mint
2. In your stand mixer bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and “stir”
3. Pour in the yeast mixture and “stir” until a shaggy dough forms.
4. Increase the stand mixer speed to 2 and knead until a smooth dough forms, about 5 minutes.
5. Turn the dough out onto your counter top, knead by hand a few turns, and shape into a ball.
6. Place the dough in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside to double in bulk, about 2 hours.
7. Turn the dough out onto your counter top, divide into two pieces, and
Bake until a deep golden brown, about 50 minutes.