230 calories per biscuit
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
6 ounces bacon (half a pack), chopped
1/2 cup Roma tomatoes, sliced
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sourdough starter, unfed
1/2 cup Gorgonzola, crumbled
1. In a saucepan set over medium heat, combine the brown sugar and bacon. Saute for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. As the bacon begins to caramelize, add in the tomatoes and cook for another 10-15 minutes. Feel free to cook the bacon to a doneness of your liking. I'm not a huge fan of wimpy bacon and tend to go extra crispy.
3. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and butter, working the mixture with a fork until it is crumbly.
5. Add in the caramelized bacon and tomatoes and stir well to mix.
6. Add in the sourdough starter and Gorgonzola, mixing until a cohesive dough forms. See "cheesy sourdough rolls" for more on sourdough starter.
7. Shape evenly into 12 balls, placing each on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet.
8. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Original recipe found here.