Complemented by Swiss meringue frosting, these fruity cupcakes are the perfect summer dessert!
Yield: 12 cupcakes
330 calories per cupcake
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
2/3 cup strawberries, fresh or thawed
1½ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
2 egg whites, at room temperature
1½ cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a muffin tin with liners.
3. Process the strawberries in your food processor or hand mixer, forming a chunky puree.
4. In medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
5. In small bowl, combine the milk, vanilla, and 1/2 cup of the strawberry puree.
6. In your stand mixer bowl with the paddle attachment, cream the butter until light and fluffy. You may have to scrape down the sides of your bowl.
7. Gradually add the sugar and beat on medium high until well combined and fluffy.
8. Reduce the stand mixer speed to medium and slowly add the egg and egg whites, beating until blended, about 30 seconds. Do not over beat, as this will lead to sunken cake.
9. Add half of the flour mixture to the stand mixer bowl, beating on low to blend, about 15 seconds.
10. Add the milk mixture and remaining flour mixture, beating on low to blend, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the bowl, if necessary.
11. Divide the batter evenly among the 12 baking cups.
12. Bake for until cupcakes feel dry to the touch, about 22 minutes.
13. Remove the cupcakes from the muffin tin to cool.
14. Arrange your double boiler, or in my case, fill a pot 1/2 full with water and find a bowl that will sit comfortably on top and not drag in/touch the water. :)
15. Bring the water to a slow boil.
16. While you're waiting for the water to boil, combine all "the frosting" ingredients except for the vanilla extract, in the bowl.
11. Place the bowl over the pan and beat the mixture with your hand mixer for 7 minutes.
after 1 minute
after 2 minutes
after 3 minutes
after 4 minutes
after 5 minutes
after 6 minutes
after 7 minutes
12. Add in the vanilla and beat for about 2 minutes.
13. Set the frosting aside for 10 minutes to cool.
14. Fill your piping (or Ziplock) bag with the frosting.
15. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
16. Frost the cupcakes and garnish with sprinkles, if desired.
- Use rosewater, fruit juice, or (gasp) an alcohol like Bailey's instead of the 1/3 water called for in the frosting ingredients.
Original recipes found here and here.