Yield: 16 large rolls
190 calories per roll
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 210 minutes
1/2 cup unfed sourdough starter
3 cups gluten flour
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1¼ teaspoons salt
5 tablespoons butter, melted at room temperature
2/3 cup lukewarm water
2 cups shredded cheese
1. In a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup, combine the lukewarm water, yeast, and a pinch of sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Stir down your sourdough starter.
3. In your stand mixer bowl, combine the sourdough starter, flour, salt, egg, agave nectar, and butter.
4. Pour in the yeast mixture and “stir” the ingredients until a shaggy dough forms.
5. Increase the stand mixer speed to 2 and knead until a smooth, cohesive dough forms.
6. Turn the dough out onto your counter top and knead by hand a few turns. Form a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl.
7. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise until it has doubled in size, about 2 hours.
8. Turn the dough out onto your counter top. Using your rolling pin, form a rectangle.
9. Sprinkle on the cheese, leaving about 1 inch on the left-hand side of the dough, and form a jelly roll, rolling from the long side. You'll want to roll the seam against the counter top to seal.
10. Cut the jelly roll into 16 pieces, placing them in a parchment lined cake pan or 9 by 13 inch casserole/baking pan.
11. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel, allowing the buns to rise until they're very puffy, about 1 hour.
12. Bake at 350 degrees until the rolls are golden brown, about 30 minutes.