A coworker and I have been obsessed with brownie brittle. This homemade dessert takes the salty, sweet, chocolaty, butterscotch goodness to a whole new level of decadence.
Yield: 32 bars
230 calories per bar
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
the brownie layer
1 box brownie mix
the butterscotch layer
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 package butterscotch chips
120 mini pretzels, crushed (about 4 cups whole)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars with a hand mixer.
5. Add in the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder, continuing to beat until incorporated.
7. Prepare the brownies as directed on the box, or make your homemade brownie batter, and set aside.
8. Scoop the cookie dough into the parchment lined pan and use your hands to evenly spread and press the dough into the pan.
10. Pour the brownie batter over the pretzels and use a rubber spatula to spread it evenly across the pan.
11. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
Original recipes found here and here.