Yield: 2 small loaves or 16 rolls
160 calories per roll
Active time: 5 minutes
Total time: 200 minutes
2 teaspoons yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup lukewarm water
3 cups high gluten flour
1 cup pepitas
1 cup shelled, roasted sunflower seeds
1. In a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup, combine the lukewarm water, yeast, and a pinch of sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. In your stand mixer bowl, combine the flour, pepitas, and sunflower seeds. With the dough hook attached, "stir" to combine.
3. Pour in the yeast mixer and "stir" until a shaggy dough forms.
4. Increase the stand mixer speed to 2 and knead until a cohesive dough forms, about 3 minutes.
5. Shape into a ball, place in a bowl (or pitcher as I was my parents' house and desperate), cover with plastic wrap, and set aside to double in bulk, about 2 hours.
6. Turn the dough out onto your counter top, divide in two. You then either shape the dough into two small loaves, or divide it again into rolls.
7. Place the shaped dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside until puffy, about 1 hour.
8. Brush the dough with an egg wash and bake at 400 degrees until golden brown, about 40 minutes.
Original recipe found here.