Yield: One loaf
3,015 calories per loaf
Active time: 15 minutes
Total time: 250 minutes
4 cups rye flour
2 cups high gluten flour
2½ teaspoons yeast
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2½ teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
1/4 cup everything topping or sesame seeds (optional)
2 cups lukewarm water
1. In a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup, combine the lukewarm water, yeast, and a pinch of sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. In your stand mixer bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and “stir” to until a shaggy dough forms.
3. Increase the stand mixer speed to 2 and knead until the dough comes together, about 7 minutes. The dough may seem sticky, but should be smooth. Because of the rye flour, the dough doesn't come together as cohesively as other varieties.
4. Form the dough into a ball, place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside rise until very puffy, about 90 minutes.
5. Turn the dough out onto your counter top, shape into a log, and place it into a parchment lined loaf pan.
6. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and set aside to rise until very puffy, about 90 minutes.
7. With about 30 minutes remaining in the final proof, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.